For providers who are not yet on or wish to upgrade to a certified electronic health record (EHR), we support providers in discovering and evaluating their options. CHITREC makes sure that practices consider site-specific requirements and that they are comprehensive when filling out requests for proposals (RFPs).
One tool we have recommended to providers for selecting and procuring an appropriate EHR is the Prep-Select Project Manager by Welch Allyn. This online vendor selection tool, and the supporting education provided by CHITREC, walks physicians through the complex EHR preparation and selection process using an easy-to-follow, 10-step project plan. Providers with limited time and technology expertise in the vendor selection process will benefit from this approach, which covers everything a practice should consider before making a final decision.
This recommended approach to selecting an EHR involves three major steps, including:
- Preparation – assessing readiness to implement an EHR, including staff, technology, workflow and capital planning
- Building a Plan – identifying product requirements and determining a short list of vendors
- Selecting a Product – automatically generating, sending and receiving RFP documents based on user input, providing an easy way to compare products and pricing, and tips for contract negotiation
- View the Prep-Select brochure
- CHITREC also keeps lists of commonly used EHR systems, broken down by categories such as practice type. Contact us for more help.
- We are a vendor-neutral resource for providers; however, there are many organizations online that review and publish information on user satisfaction.