CMS released a final rule granting flexibility to providers who are unable to fully implement 2014 Edition Certified Electronic Health Record Technology (CEHRT) for an EHR reporting period in 2014 due to delays in 2014 CEHRT availability.
Eligible Providers (EPs) can use the 2011 Edition CEHRT or a combination of 2011 and 2014 Edition CEHRT for an EHR reporting period in 2014 for the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. Starting in 2015, all Eligible Providers (EPs), Eligible Hospitals (EHs), and Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) will be required to use the 2014 Edition CEHRT.
The revised Illinois EHR Medicaid Incentive Payment Program (eMIPP) attestation system is expected to be implemented in early November. Providers who plan on attesting using 2014 Edition CEHRT can do so currently in eMIPP, but those who plan to attest using 2011 Edition CEHRT’s or the combined 2011 & 2014 Edition CEHRTs will need to wait until the modifications are implemented in early November.
2014 Participation Options
- Providers scheduled to meet Stage 1 or Stage 2: 2013 Stage 1 Objectives and 2013 CQMs
Combination of 2011 & 2014 CEHRT
- Providers scheduled to meet Stage 1: 2013 Stage 1 objectives and 2013 CQMs; or 2014 Stage 1 Objectives and 2014 CQMs
- Providers scheduled to meet Stage 2: 2013 Stage 1 objectives and 2013 CQMs; or 2014 Stage 1 objectives and 2014 CQMs; or 2014 Stage 2 Objectives and 2014 CQMs
- Providers scheduled to meet Stage 1: 2014 Stage 1 objectives and 2014 CQMs
- Providers scheduled to meet Stage 2: 2014 Stage 1 objectives and 2014 CQMs; or 2014 Stage 2 objectives and 2014 CQMs
Please refer to the following chart for a further explanation on the 2011 and 2014 CEHRT Edition options:
To better understand the final rule in relation to your EHR, please refer to the following resources developed by CMS:
The rule also finalizes the extension of Stage 2 through 2016 for certain providers and announces the Stage 3 timeline. An updated Meaningful Use timeline can be found below: